The classic handheld BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich is great in a Dutch Oven. Topped with crisp veggies this savory classic is a personal favorite. To take it up a notch try using some pickled veggies for the topping or spice it up with some jalapeño slices.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 12 buns
- Red cabbage
- Sweet onions
- Prepare about 2 dozen coals or fire, preheat Dutch oven and heat olive oil.
- Cook the onion and garlic for about five minutes or until quite soft.
- Add the smoked paprika and stir. Add the chicken, pepper and salt.
- Add the stock and bbq sauce and cover. I prefer mine on the dryer side and not runny. Add more sauce or liquid as needed.
- Simmer for 60 minutes.
- Prep vegetables, finely chopped.
- Once tender, remove the chicken and shred it with two forks.
- Add more coals underneath the Dutch oven and bring the BBQ sauce mixture to a boil. Let it boil down to about ½ of its volume.
- Take the dutch oven off the coals, add the chicken back in and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the bbq chicken mixture on to a bun and dress with sliced veggies, enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 557Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 68mgSodium 1668mgCarbohydrates 82gFiber 5gSugar 34gProtein 35g
Don’t miss these other mouth watering Dutch Oven Campfire Recipes