A simple one-pot chicken recipe that is great with a variety of vegetables. The browned chicken is simmered in broth while the vegetables take on the delicious flavor from the broth and seasoning.
This delicious and healthy recipe is a great way to use up those veggies in your fridge.
Don’t miss these other mouth watering Dutch Oven Campfire Recipes
- 1 lb Chicken thighs or breast
- 2 Carrots
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Yellow squash
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tblsp Olive oil
- Seasoning of your choice. We use cajun seasoning along with salt and pepper.
- ***feel free to substitute any other veggies you enjoy
- Prep fire or prepare 24 charcoal briquettes
- Wash, chop, and prepare vegetables.
- Pre-heat Dutch Oven
- Add olive oil and brown chicken, 3-5 minutes per side
- Add chicken broth, we use the dried bouillon chicken broth
- Add vegetables on top of chicken and season with your choice of seasoning.
- Cook at a low simmer, 8-10 briquettes under Dutch Oven and 8-10 on lid.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add additional seasoning if needed.
- Optional - pull chicken apart with fork and stir chicken and vegetables together in broth.
How To Determine How Many Coals To Place On, And Under Your Dutch Oven:
The amount and placement of coals on and under your Dutch Oven is important. We often just use the coals from a fire which takes some practice as the heat produced from that is more difficult to measure. We recommend using charcoal briquettes for the most consistent results.
The perfect amount of briquettes is based on your Dutch Oven diameter. For example, if you are using a 10" Dutch Oven, you will need two coals per inch, or a total of 20. To figure out how many coals to place on and under you oven all you need to do is remember the number 2.
For the lid you'll want to place 2 more than the oven size on the lid and for underneath you'll want to place 2 less than the oven size. So for our 10" dutch oven we would place 12 on the lid and 8 on the bottom. For a 12" dutch oven you would place 14 on the lid and 10 on the bottom. This works out to about a 350 degree oven which is just right for most recipes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 349Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 145mgSodium 294mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 6gSugar 9gProtein 31g