A moist from scratch corn bread with cream corn that cooks up perfect in a dutch oven. Serve with your favorite chili or just as a dessert topped with butter and honey.
- 2 cups cornmeal*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda*
- 1 tablespoon sugar*
- 1 teaspoon salt*
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk see NOTE below
- 1 (15 oz ) can cream style corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional for serving:
- Butter if desired
- Honey or jam
- Dry ingredients marked with * can be measured and mixed at home.
- Preheat standard depth 10-inch Dutch oven to 350 degrees F (21 total briquettes or uniform campfire coals = 14 on top of the lid / 7 below the bottom of the oven).
- Measure 1 cup buttermilk NOTE: If you don't have buttermilk you can just add a tablespoon of vinegar to one cup milk, let it set for about 5 minutes then continue with the recipe.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, then stir in the buttermilk and corn.
- Stir in the the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt to the bowl and mix just until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Drop the butter into the pre-heated Dutch oven and let it melt.
- Pour batter into the oven and cover with lid. Arrange coals for baking using 7 below the oven and 14 on the lid.
- Rotate the oven and lid in opposite directions every 10 minutes to ensure even baking.
- Bake until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly, then, slice and serve.
- Spread with butter and drizzle with honey or jam, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 298Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 79mgSodium 894mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 4gSugar 10gProtein 8g
Don’t miss these other mouth watering Dutch Oven Campfire Recipes