This pork chili is a great alternative to your traditional chili while you’re on the road or camping. This one is packed with tomatillos and green chiles, perfect for a hot campfire meal.
- 2 pounds boneless, lean pork, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 green onions, chopped, including green
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 (7 oz.) can tomatillos
- 1 cups canned chopped green chiles
- Salt, to taste
- In a preheated dutch oven, add cubed pork, stirring to cook all cubes until browned
- . When browned, add onion, celery, green onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Stir and cook about 10 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Push mixture to one side of the oven.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to pan juices. Stir in flour to make a roux. (Roux is a thickening agent created when mixing flour and oil.) Stir until flour mixture is light tan. Add 2 cups of water and stir to make a smooth gravy, stirring in the meat mixture.
- Bring to a boil and stir until mixture thickens. If mixture is too thick, add more water. Add tomatillos and green chiles. Add salt to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes to blend flavors and tenderize meat.
- Serve with fresh tortillas.
Amount Per Serving Calories 312Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 100mgSodium 147mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 31g
Don’t miss these other mouth watering Dutch Oven Campfire Recipes