A comfort food that’s healthy and hearty. The savory sweet potato stew with a hint of smokiness topped with a peanut crunch absolutely perfect around the camp fire.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into 1/4 inch cubes, about 2 cups
- 2 cups broth
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons New Mexico chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups kale, destemmed and chopped
- Prepare coals and preheat Dutch Oven and add oil.
- Add the onion and saute about 5 minutes, until translucent and just starting to brown. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potato, broth, tomatoes & their juices, peanut butter, chili powder, and salt. Stir well to ensure the peanut butter is thoroughly mixed in and there's no clumps remaining.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender, add the chickpeas and the kale to the dutch oven. Stir to combine and heat until the chickpeas have warmed through and the kale has wilted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 238Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 2mgSodium 614mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 8gSugar 10gProtein 10g
Don’t miss these other mouth watering Dutch Oven Campfire Recipes